Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Survival Kit

There is so much talk about a survival kit. It seems everyone has their opinion on the ideal kit. There are mini kits, medium kits & large kits. There are kits that fit in Altoids tins, dry bags & everything imaginable. There are kits sold at Wal-Mart,REI, Cabela's & nearly all outdoor stores. There are military survival kits & civilian survival kits.
All of them claiming to contain everything you need to stay alive thru the worst situations.
The problem is it is impossible to predict what the situation will be, where it will be, for how long, what you will require to sustain your life, weather, geography, terrain, season, etc., etc.

For many years now I have recommended a few key items that everyone should take. These few key items are vital to survival. They are light in weight & reasonably inexpensive. From those key items you add other items that are pertinent to the weather, geography, terrain, season, etc., etc. Again, it is impossible to predict exactly what you will need as the variables are too vast.
However, the key items I suggest will give you instant shelter, fire in the worst conditions, a means to boil purify water (assuming there is a water source) & signal for ground rescue. I will discuss additional items you could add later.
*Please note: these items are only good to you if you practice with them. The real problem is you could have the best survival kit items money can buy, but if you lack the knowledge to use them when you really need them, then they are of no use to you. Practice with your kit & get to a point where setting up the shelter & getting a fire started in various weather conditions is second nature. That will literally put the odds in your favor when placed in a life or death situation (where you have some control).

Kit components:

All Weather Sportsman's Blanket- This is a vital item, in that it serves as a blanket to shield you from the wind "instant shelter", by simply wrapping it around you. The foil reflective side should go towards your body (the foil side reflects up to 80% of your body heat). The outer side is a tarp material that will shed rain, again "instant shelter". For a more permanent shelter use the length of para-cord to string up the sportsman's blanket between two trees to create a lean-to or other configuration.

Para-cord- 7 inner strand. For winter conditions don't use white. The uses are nearly endless. 50 feet should be adequate.

Stainless Steel Water Bottle- get a good quality bottle as this will be placed in the fire (or coals) to boil water in. I use Klean Kanteen brand. My water bottle fits inside my Snow Peak titanium mug. Always carry plenty of water. I also like the military canteen & canteen cup combination. I actually prefer this to a stainless bottle. The cup is so much more robust & suited to use in a fire.

Aquamira Survival Straw- for drinking directly at a water source. This allows me to stay hydrated & keeps my water supply in my bottle full for those times when I don't come across a water supply as often. Personally, I don't like chemical water treatments.

Bandanna- the color is of personal choice but bright colors are wise. The uses are nearly endless. I use mine mostly for a prefilter & a pot holder.

Whistle- get a pea less variety as the pea can fall out & get lost, freeze or rot. I carry ACR brand or Fox 40. This allows you to signal to ground rescue w/out having to scream. Screaming is not a good way to signal.

Wool Stocking Cap- Keeping your head covered will help maintain body heat. Fleece will work too for those that prefer fleece over wool.

Wool Socks- Carry an extra pair. They can double as gloves. This allows to keep feet dry & warm while drying wet ones.

Matches- I carry mine in an water tight Exotac match case. Alternate matches so half are tip up & half are tip down. This will allow more matches to fit in the case. Matches are instant flame, unlike a ferrocerium rod.
*As I stated before practice in all weather conditions to become proficient at striking & keeping a match lit!

Ferrocerium Rod- Mine is always along in my knife sheath. I use this 99% of the time to get fires going. I enjoy starting fires this way. It does take knowledge & skill with using tinder (natural & man made). I personally recommend "Firesteel" brand. I also have a Doan's magnesium fire tool. This is instant tinder & spark source. They are far better than the others....hands down!

Fatwood- this is resin saturated pine wood. In different areas it has different names. I buy mine from the local hardware store. Carry a couple pieces. Fatwood burns furiously & will get a fire going in the wettest of conditions. It can be ignited by your match or by the ferro rod (with some preparation)

Again, these items are the static or foundation items. They should always be in the kit. They will fit in a small ruck sack or fanny pack. The kit should always be on you when wandering, no matter what.


Some additional items I add to mine:

Compass & map of area I'll be wandering, small first-aid kit (with Moleskin, antibiotic ointment, ibuprofen, knuckle band aids, finger tip band aids, standard band aids, jock tape (cloth) & Benadryl), Leatherman Wave, candle, Cliff bars, jerky, dried blueberries, signal mirror, 5 fishhooks, 5 pre-made snares (brass wire), mini roll of duct tape, small sharpening stone (Fallkniven DC3), gator-aid type drink powder, wool shirt-jack.

To be honest, I could survive indefinitely with these few items.

I have never put any stock in the mini/Altoids tin survival kits. I believe when you need them most, the items will be to small & products inferior to a real life survival situation. I have snapped too many "survival saws", broke too many razor blades, etc. Having said that, most of the above items can be purchased to fit into a survival tin. However, the extra weight of the above items is really minimal & I would trust in all the items & will bet my life on them- period.

Post Script:
I acknowledge my philosophy goes against some peoples hardcore beliefs. I'm fine with that. I also recognise that the reader may think they know more than me. That too I'm fine with. It is because of this that it is always best to trust in your own philosophies & mindset. Go with whatever YOU think is best. After all, survival is 80% mental. If you feel comfortable carrying not much more than an Altoids tin survival kit- go with it. Oh....& happy travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment